James M. Ayres — B.A. (Hons.), J.D.
Jim's practice is focused on all aspects of municipal and environmental law, including land use planning/land development, municipal governance, expropriation, environmental approvals, waste management and environmental due diligence aspects of corporate finance, securities transactions, mergers and acquisitions and corporate restructuring. He is certified by the Law Society of Upper Canada as a Specialist in Municipal and Environmental Law.
Jim represents clients at court proceedings, including the Ontario Court of Appeal, Ontario Superior Court of Justice/Divisional Court and Ontario Court of Justice. He also appears regularly before municipal councils, tribunals and boards, including the Ontario Municipal Board.
Jim regularly advises corporate clients on environmental issues in commercial transactions with respect to the management of environmental risks, corporate governance, regulatory compliance, real property realizations and bankruptcies.
He also advises ratepayers, municipalities and councillors on causes of action by and against municipalities, including by-law powers, prosecutions, municipal liability, conflict of interest and municipal elections matters.
Jim articled with the Ministry of the Attorney General and practised with the Ministry for five years. He acted as counsel for the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and to the Niagara Escarpment Commission and was a Deputy Director of Titles for the Real Property Registration Branch of the Ministry of Consumer and Commercial Relations. Jim represented the Government of Ontario at Parts I and II of the Walkerton Inquiry. He has also been retained to represent the Government at Coroner's Inquests.
In addition to his legal practice, Jim speaks frequently at seminars on environmental and municipal matters.
- Certified as a Specialist in Municipal Law (Land Use Planning and Development)
- Certified as a Specialist in Municipal Law (Local Government)
- Certified as a Specialist in Environmental Law
- University of Toronto, Centre for Environment: Certificate in Carbon Finance
- University of Toronto, School of Continuing Studies: Business Essentials for Lawyers
- Architectural Conservancy of Ontario
- Vice-Chair and Member, City of Kawartha Lakes Committee of Adjustment
- President, Simcoe Chapter, Lambda Alpha International (an honorary land economics society)
- Canadian Bar Association (National Environmental, Energy & Resources Law Section
- Ontario Association of Committees of Adjustment and Consent Authorities
- Ontario Bar Association
- Ontario Expropriation Association
J.D., University of Windsor, 1982
B.A. Hons., Trent University, 1978
2 Lombard Street,
Toronto, ON M5C 1M1
Cell: (416) 738-0934
Office: (416) 365-7202 ext.6
Fax: (416) 365-7204